Cocktail Of Bullish Headlines Push Markets Higher

Market TalkWednesday, Aug 25 2021
Pivotal Week For Price Action

Optimism abounds this week as a cocktail of bullish headlines push energy and equity markets higher for a third day. Markets around the world cheer improving COVID stats, the official approval of a vaccine, the reopening of the world’s 3rd largest port, and energy markets are getting an added boost from inventory declines and another hurricane threat.

While this 3 day rally, that’s added 20 cents or more from Friday’s lows, has taken the chance of a technical collapse off the table near term, there’s still work to be done to eliminate the longer threat of a lower trend. Peg the starting levels of the 7 day selloff as the targets we’ll need to see broken if the bulls want to take back control longer term. RBOB futures will transition to the winter grade spec next week, which will knock 13 cents off of prompt values. If you’re wondering why gasoline basis values in your local market suddenly jumped in the past couple of days, odds are physical trades in your region are now referencing the October RBOB contract.  

It looks like there’s a good chance we could see a hurricane heading towards the US Gulf Coast next week. The storm system in the Caribbean that was given just 20% odds of development a few days ago, now has 80% odds of developing and early models have it pointed anywhere from Northern Mexico to Corpus Christi, Houston, or perhaps even Louisiana as we mark the 4 year anniversary of Hurricane Harvey. The name of this storm, assuming it develops, will likely be Ida, but could be Julian if one of the other 2 storms churning over the Atlantic is named first. Neither of those appears to be a threat to the US at this point.

It’s another week of small changes from the API report, which was said to show inventory drawdowns across the board last week.  Crude oil inventory dropped by 1.6 million barrels, gasoline was down almost 1 million barrels, and distillates dropped by 245,000 barrels. The DOE’s weekly report is due out at its normal time today.  

Add another renewable diesel project to the pile: Exxon’s subsidiary Imperial oil announced a new plan to co-produce renewable diesel at its refinery in Edmonton, expanding the company’s strategy of co-producing rather than converting its existing facilities as we’ve seen other refiners do. Canada’s Clean Fuel Standard takes effect next year, giving more financial incentive for this type of investment, and adding to the competition for feedstocks and renewable products that’s pulling traditional biodiesel away from the US markets that don’t have a credit program to offset the higher costs of those fuels.

Speaking of which, after RINs got hammered last week when reports suggested the EPA was going to lower its RFS target for 2021, and raise it for 2022, we’re seeing values gap higher this morning, with trades already 18 cents above Monday’s lows. With this type of move, odds are we’ll see another update on the EPA’s plans (or lack of) later this morning.

Click here to download a PDF of today's TACenergy Market Talk.

Market Update 8.25.21

News & Views

View All
Pivotal Week For Price Action
Market TalkFriday, Apr 12 2024

Charts Continue To Favor A Push Towards The $3 Mark For Gasoline, While Diesel Prices May Need To Be Dragged Along For The Ride

Energy prices are rallying once again with the expected Iranian attack on Israel over the weekend appearing to be the catalyst for the move. RBOB gasoline futures are leading the way once again, trading up more than a nickel on the day to reach a fresh 7 month high at $2.8280. Charts continue to favor a push towards the $3 mark for gasoline, while diesel prices may need to be dragged along for the ride.

So far it appears that Motiva Pt. Arthur is the only refinery that experienced a noteworthy upset from the storms that swept across the southern half of the country this week. Those storms also delayed the first round of the Masters, which matters more to most traders this week than the refinery upset.

Chevron’s El Segundo refinery in the LA-area reported an unplanned flaring event Thursday, but the big moves once again came from the San Francisco spot market that saw diesel prices rally sharply to 25 cent premiums to futures. The Bay Area now commands the highest prices for spot gasoline and diesel as the conversion of 1 out of the 4 remaining refineries to renewable output is not-surprisingly creating disruptions in the supply chain.

RIN values dropped back below the 50-cent mark, after the recovery rally ran out of steam last week. The EPA is facing numerous legal challenges on the RFS and other policies, and now half of the US states are challenging the agency’s new rule restricting soot emissions. That lack of clarity on what the law actually is or may be is having widespread impacts on environmental credits around the world and makes enforcement of such policies a bit of a joke. Speaking of which, the EPA did just fine a South Carolina company $2.8 million and require that it buy and retire 9 million RINs for improper reporting from 2013-2019. The cost of those RINs now is about 1/3 of what it was this time last year, so slow playing the process definitely appears to have paid off in this case.

The IEA continues to do its best to downplay global demand for petroleum, once again reducing its economic outlook in its Monthly Report even though the EIA and OPEC continue to show growth, and the IEA’s own data shows “Robust” activity in the first quarter of the year. The IEA has come under fire from US lawmakers for changing its priorities from promoting energy security, to becoming a cheerleader for energy transition at the expense of reality.

Click here to download a PDF of today's TACenergy Market Talk.

Pivotal Week For Price Action
Market TalkThursday, Apr 11 2024

Diesel Prices Continue To Be The Weak Link In The Energy Chain

Energy prices are ticking modestly lower this morning, despite warnings from the US that an Iranian attack on Israeli interest is “imminent” and reports of weather induced refinery outages, as demand fears seem to be outweighing supply fears temporarily. Diesel prices continue to be the weak link in the energy chain with both the DOE and OPEC reports giving the diesel bears reason to believe lower prices are coming.

The March PPI report showed a lower inflation reading for producers than the Consumer Price Index report, leading to an immediate bounce in equity futures after the big wave of selling we saw yesterday. To put the CPI impact in perspective, a week ago Fed Fund futures were pricing in an 80% chance of an interest rate cut by the FED’s July 31 meeting, and today those odds have shrunk to 40% according to the CME’s FedWatch tool.

OPEC’s monthly oil market report held a steady outlook for economic growth and oil demand from last month’s report, noting the healthy momentum of economic activity in the US. The cartel’s outlook also highlighted significant product stock increases last month that weighed heavily on refining margins, particularly for diesel. Given the US focus on ULSD futures that are deliverable on the East Coast, which continues to have relatively tight supply for diesel, it’s easy to overlook how quickly Asian markets have gotten long on distillates unless of course you’re struggling through the slog of excess supply in numerous west coast markets these days. The OPEC report noted this in a few different ways, including a 33% decline in Chinese product exports as the region simply no longer needs its excess. The cartel’s oil output held steady during March with only small changes among the countries as they hold to their output cut agreements.

If you believe the DOE’s diesel demand estimates, there’s reason to be concerned about domestic consumption after a 2nd straight week of big declines. The current estimate below 3 million barrels/day is something we typically only see the week after Christmas when many businesses shut their doors. We know the DOE’s figures are missing about 5% of total demand due to Renewable Diesel not being included in the weekly stats, and it’s common to see a drop the week after a holiday, but to lose more than a million barrels/day of consumption in just 2 weeks will keep some refiners on edge.

Most PADDs continue to follow their seasonal trends on gasoline with 1 and 2 still in their normal draw down period, while PADD 3 is rebuilding inventories faster than normal following the transition to summer grade products. That rapid influx of inventory in PADD 3 despite robust export activity helps explain the spike in premiums to ship barrels north on Colonial over the past 2 weeks. Gasoline also saw a sizeable drop in its weekly demand estimate, but given the holiday hangover effect, and the fact that it’s in line with the past 2 years, there’s not as much to be concerned about with that figure. While most of the activity happens in PADDs 1-3, the biggest disconnect is coming in PADDs 4 and 5, with gasoline prices in some Colorado markets being sold 50 cents or more below futures, while prices in some California markets are approaching 90 cents above futures.

Severe weather sweeping across the southern US knocked several units offline at Motiva’s Pt Arthur plant (the country’s largest refinery) Wednesday, and it seems likely that Louisiana refineries will see some disruption from the storm that spawned tornadoes close to the Mississippi River refining hub. So far cash markets haven’t reacted much, but they’ll probably need more time to see what damage may have occurred.

Click here to download a PDF of today's TACenergy Market Talk, including all charts from the Weekly DOE Report.

Pivotal Week For Price Action